Can My Dog Eat Pumpkin?

With Halloween creeping up pretty fast, plenty of dog owners out there are calling and asking: “Is it okay for my dog to eat pumpkin?” Well we’re here today with the answer!


You may be carving a pumpkin and your dog decides that they want to help…by using their teeth. Or you may have a dog who wants to protect the neighborhood by attacking local pumpkins on porches. Whatever the reason you are searching for an answer to this query, you’ll be happy to know that pumpkin is not toxic to your dog. At least not in reasonable amounts.

If your dog gets their paws on pumpkin they are actually getting a great dose of fiber and beta-carotene! We all know what fiber does, but what about beta-carotene? It’s converted by the body in to vitamin A which is then implemented in a wide variety of your pet’s bodily functions including healthy digestion. One reason why you should limit your pup’s intake of pumpkin however, is because vitamin A accumulates in the liver and can cause vitamin A toxicity when too much of it is present. How much vitamin A is a toxic dose for your dog? According to the American Association of Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) 2,500 and 113,600 IU per pound of food – but only if this elevated level of vitamin A is fed to a dog daily for months or even years. So is it likely that your dog will overdose on vitamin A from pumpkin munching? Not really, but even so you should keep an eye out for the following signs:

  • Appetite Loss
  • Lethargy
  • Stiffness
  • Weakness
  • Limping
  • Bone Spurs
  • Weight Loss

Did you know that pumpkin is also something of a double sided homeopathic cure as well? Cooked canned pumpkin is commonly recommended for use in dogs suffering from diarrhea or constipation? We are talking about regular cooked pumpkin here, not the pie filling or the raw stuff, but a few teaspoons (or tablespoons depending on how large your dog is) can prove to be a miracle cure!